Annie Elizabeth MORRIS, Bruce ROBINSON, Dr D Gibson-Wilde, Elizabeth Annie Morris, Honour Boards, Louisa Emma BENTON, National Trust, Railway Station, Saunders Beach, Springfield, St James' Cathedral Townsville, T150, Townsville City Council, Townsville Grammar, Townsville Heritage Centre, Volunteers, WW1
Ever since the 1880s when George Saunders took up land in the area now called Saunders Beach this beachside village has had a vital connection to Townsville for such things as banking, Courts and State Land Office transactions. In 2008 the Queensland Government amalgamated local governments and Saunders Beach became a suburb of Townsville City Council.
This year Townsville celebrates 150 years – 1866 to 2016 – since it became a Municipality under the Queensland Municipals Institute Act of 1864. This historical milestone for Townsville is elegantly represented by the abbreviation T150.
In recognition of this Townsville City Council has planned a year-long festival of events, selecting some community-based activities to support financially. The National Trust of Australia (Qld) Townsville Branch received funding for four bus tours.